Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of health events in a human population.
The Epidemiology section of District 2 is responsible for surveillance and investigations of notifiable diseases. As required by GA Law 31-12-2, all Georgia physicians, laboratories and other health care providers should report patients with a notifiable disease to their County Health Department, or District Office.
A list of all Georgia notifiable diseases can be obtained by clicking here. Notifiable Diseases Poster
Key activities of The Epidemiology Department include, but are not limited to:
- Investigating reports of disease outbreaks within the community
- Routine follow-up of communicable disease patients
- Maintaining District 2 disease mortality statistics
- Responding to disease statistics request from the private and public sector
- Linkage of Health Department patients with specialized medical providers
- Coordination with other Public Health sections such as Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Health.